Alok Kumar Panda
Dr. Panda completed his doctorate in Biophysical Chemistry and Biochemistry from Indian Institute of Technology Bhubaneswar. He did his postdoctoral studies in the field of lens crystallins from SUNY Albany USA. He is currently engaged both in teaching and research. The research work in his lab is mainly focused on the following aspects: 1. Exploring the role of mutations, stress and posttranslational modifications on the structure, dynamics, and function of small heat shock proteins and lens crystallins which plays a vital role in diseases such as tuberculosis and cataract. 2. Isolation, characterization, and profiling of the bioactivities of natural products from different sources. 3. Exploring the role and interactions of ayurvedic medicines/products with biomolecules to understand and enhance the use of ayurvedic medicine as therapeutics.
Biophysical and Biochemistry
Title : 1. Role of C-Terminal Domain of M. Tuberculosis Small Heat Shock Protein Hsp16.3 for Its Structure, Stability and Chaperone Function Under Thermal Stress Funding Agency: UGC Year: 2020 Project Status: Ongoing
Awards & Honours
1. Postdoctoral Fellow at State University of New York, Albany, USA 2. Direct ICMR Senior Research Fellowship, Indian Council of Medical Research, India 3. JNCASR Summer Research Fellow at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. 4. University First Rank Holder in Chemistry Honours in Bachelor of Science (B.Sc). 5. Certificate of Merit from CBSE Board
1. Alok Kumar Panda, Ayon Chakraborty, Sandip Kumar Nandi and Ashis Biswas, – “The impact of different mutations at arginine141 on the structure, subunit exchange dynamics and chaperone activity of Hsp16.3”, Proteins-Structure, Function Bioinformatics, 10.1002/prot.25864 (2020). [Illustrated as Cover Page]
2. Sandip Kumar Nandi, Ayon Chakraborty, Alok Kumar Panda and Ashis Biswas – “M. leprae HSP18 suppresses copper (II) mediated ROS generation: Effect of redox stress on its structure and function”, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 146, 648-660 (2020).
3. Ayon Chakraborty‡, Alok Kumar Panda‡, Rajesh Ghosh and Ashis Biswas, - “DNA minor groove binding of a well known anti-mycobacterial drug dapsone: A spectroscopic, viscometric and molecular docking study”, Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 655, 107-113 (2019). [‡equal contribution]
4. Ayon Chakraborty, Alok Kumar Panda, Rajesh Ghosh, Ipsita Roy and Ashis Biswas - “Depicting the DNA binding and photo-nuclease ability of anti-mycobacterial drug rifampicin: A biophysical and molecular docking perspective”, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 127, 187-196 (2019).
5. Sandip Kumar Nandi, Ayon Chakraborty, Alok Kumar Panda, Rajiv Kumar Kar, Anirban Bhunia and Ashis Biswas - “Evidences for zinc (II) and copper (II) ion interactions with Mycobacterium leprae HSP18: Effect on its structure and chaperone function”, Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, 188, 62-75 (2018).
6. Ayon Chakraborty, Sandip Kumar Nandi, Alok Kumar Panda, Pinaki Prasad Mahapatra; Sourav Giri and Ashis Biswas - “Probing the structure-function relationship of Mycobacterium leprae HSP18 under different UV radiations”, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 119, 604-616 (2018).
7. Sudarshana Majumder, Sagarika Pasayat, Alok Kumar Panda, Subhashree P. Dash, Satabdi Roy, Ashis Biswas, Mokshada E. Varma, Bimba N. Joshi, Eugenio Garribba, Chahat Kausar, Samir Kumar Patra, Werner Kaminsky, Aurélien Crochet, and Rupam Dinda - “Monomeric and Dimeric Oxidomolybdenum(V and VI) Complexes, Cytotoxicity, and DNA Interaction Studies: Molybdenum Assisted C═N Bond Cleavage of Salophen Ligands”, Inorganic Chemistry, 56(18), 11190-11210 (2017).
8. Priyabrata Mukhi, Swapna Sarita Mohapatra, M Bhattacharjee, Kalyan Kumar Ray, T.S. Muraleedharan, A Arun, R. Sathyavathi, R. R. Juluri, P.V. Satyam, Alok Kumar Panda, Ashis Biswas, S Nayak, Sreedhar Bojja, S. Pratihar, Sujit Roy - “Mercury based drug in ancient India: The case of red sulfide of mercury in nanoscale”, Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine, 8(2), 93-98 (2017).
9. Alok Kumar Panda, Ayon Chakraborty, Sandip Kumar Nandi, Abhishek Kaushik and Ashis Biswas – The C-terminal extension of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Hsp16.3 regulates its oligomerization, subunit exchange dynamics and chaperone function” FEBS Journal, 284, 277-300. (2017).
10. Subhashree P. Dash‡, Alok Kumar Panda‡, Sarita Dhaka‡, Sagarika Pasayat, Ashis Biswas, Mannar R. Maurya, Paresh Kumar Majhi, Aurélien Crochet and Rupam Dinda - “A study of DNA/BSA interaction and catalytic potential of oxidovanadium(v) complexes with ONO donor ligands” Dalton Transactions, 45, 18292-18307 (2016).
11. Sandip Kumar Nandi, Ayon Chakraborty, Alok Kumar Panda and Ashis Biswas - “Conformational perturbation, hydrophobic interactions and oligomeric association are responsible for the enhanced chaperone function of Mycobacterium leprae HSP18 under pre-thermal condition” RSC Advances, 6, 62146-62156 (2016).
12. Alok Kumar Panda‡, Sandip Kumar Nandi‡, Ayon Chakraborty, Ram H. Nagaraj and Ashis Biswas - “Differential role of arginine mutations on the structure and functions of alpha-crystallin”, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta-General Subjects, 1860, 199-210 (2016) [‡equal contribution].
13. Subhashree P. Dash, Alok Kumar Panda, Sagarika Pasayat, Rupam Dinda, Ashis Biswas, Edward R. T. Tiekink, Subhadip Mukhopadhyay, Sujit K. Bhutia, Werner Kaminsky and Ekkehard Sinn - “Oxidovanadium(V) complexes of aroylhydrazones incorporating heterocycles: Synthesis, characterization and study of DNA binding, photo-induced DNA cleavage and cytotoxic activities”, RSC Advances, 5, 51852 – 51867 (2015).
14. Sandip Kumar Nandi, Alok Kumar Panda, Ayon Chakraborty, Sougata Sinha Ray and Ashis Biswas - “Role of subunit exchange and electrostatic interactions on the chaperone activity of Mycobacterium leprae HSP18”, PLoS One, 10(6), e0129734 (2015). [
15. Saswati, Ayon Chakraborty, Subhashree P. Dash, Alok Kumar Panda, Rama Acharyya, Ashis Biswas, Subhadip Mukhopadhyay, Sujit K Bhutia, Aurelien Crochet, Yogesh P. Patil, Munirathinam Nethaji and Rupam Dinda - “Synthesis, X-ray structure and in vitro cytotoxicity studies of Cu(I/II) complexes of thiosemicarbazone: special emphasis on their interactions with DNA”, Dalton Transactions, 44(13), 6140-6157 (2015).
16. Subhashree P. Dash, Alok Kumar Panda, Sagarika Pasayat, Sudarshana Majumder, Ashis Biswas, Werner Kaminsky, Subhadip Mukhopadhyay, Sujit K. Bhutia, Rupam Dinda - ""Evaluation of the cell cytotoxicity and DNA/BSA binding and cleavage activity of some dioxidovanadium(V) complexes containing aroylhydrazones"", Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, 144, 1-12 (2015).
17. Sandip Kumar Nandi, Ayon Chakraborty, Alok Kumar Panda, Sougata Sinha Ray, Rajiv Kumar Kar, Anirban Bhunia and Ashis Biswas - ""Interaction of ATP with a small heat shock protein from Mycobacterium leprae: effect on its structure and function"", PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 9(3), e0003661 (2015).
18. Subhashree. P. Dash, Alok Kumar Panda, Sagarika Pasayat, Rupam Dinda, Ashis Biswas, E. R. Tiekink, Yogesh P. Patil, M. Nethaji, Werner Kaminsky, Subhadip Mukhopadhyay and Sujit K. Bhutia - ""Syntheses and structural investigation of some alkali metal ion-mediated LV(V)O2(-) (L(2-) = tridentate ONO ligands) species: DNA binding, photo-induced DNA cleavage and cytotoxic activities"", Dalton Transactions, 43(26), 10139-10156 (2014). [IF - 4.02]
19. Sandip Kumar Nandi, Elengikal A. A. Rehna, Alok Kumar Panda, Sugathan Shiburaj, Kuppamuthu Dharmalingam and Ashis Biswas – “A S52P mutation in the 'α-crystallin domain' of Mycobacterium leprae HSP18 reduces its oligomeric size and chaperone function”, FEBS Journal, 280(23), 5994-6009 (2013).
20. Ram H. Nagaraj, Alok Kumar Panda, Shilpa Shanthakumar, Puttur Santhoshkumar, NagaRekha Pasupuleti, Benlian Wang and Ashis Biswas - “Hydroimidazolone modification of the conserved Arg12 in small heat shock proteins: studies on the structure and chaperone function using mutant mimics”, PLoS One, 7, e30257 (2012).
21. Ram H. Nagaraj, Rooban B. Nahomi, Shilpa Shanthakumar, Mikhail Linetsky, Smitha Padmanabha, Nagarekha Pasupuleti, Benlian Wang, Puttur Santhoshkumar, Alok Kumar Panda and Ashis Biswas - “Acetylation of alphaA-crystallin in the human lens: effects on structure and chaperone function”, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta-Molecular Basis of Disease, 1822, 120-129 (2012).
22. Sasmita Baliarsingh, Alok Kumar Panda, Jyostna Jena., Trupti Das and Nalini Bihari Das – “Exploring sustainable technique on natural dye extraction from native plants for textile: Identification of colourants, colourimetric analysis of dyed yarns and their antimicrobial evaluation”, Journal of Cleaner Production 37, 257-264 (2012).